Originally published in Destination: Limited Edition Design (Mondadori Electa, 2008).
In the immediate vicinity of Yves Macaux’s gallery on rue de la Régence, visitors will find many of Brussels’ most celebrated tourist destinations, including the shops of Place du Grand Sablon, the sculpture garden of Place du Petit Sablon, the Royal Museums of Fine Arts of Belgium, and the Palais Royal. For design lovers, however, this prestigious and historically significant environment does not overshadow the extraordinary nature of the work found in Galerie Yves Macaux. Opened in 1995, Galerie Yves Macaux is dedicated to the furniture, lighting and objets d’art created during the turn-of-the-century Viennese Secessionist movement—widely considered the wellspring of Modern design. Because this important work was produced by hand in limited quantities for an elite clientele, very little of it survives today, which makes the wealth of quality inventory amassed by Yves all the more amazing. Yves has earned an impeccable reputation for only dealing in the best, most authentic, and most valuable examples from the era. He is often called in by museums to assist with acquisitions and loans. Artists, designers, and architects represented include: Josef Hoffmann, Adolf Loos, Koloman Moser, Gustave Serrurier-Bovy, Henry van de Velde, Otto Wagner.
43, rue de la Régence
1000 Brussels, Belgium